Monday, April 27, 2009

Torrid

It's the first weekly WORD DAY!! Aside from quote day, I think this is going to be my favorite :D

Just to give a little introduction to the Word of the Week posts, I want to say this: I think some weeks I'll have a long, crazy word that I've recently learned or something, and then maybe sometimes I'll try to dig deeper into a word that I've known forever.

Word of this week: TORRID

Apparently, this word has a negative connotation that I wasn't aware of until a few months ago, but the actual meaning isn't bad at all. This is my favorite word ever, but believe me, the negative connotation has nothing to do with my liking it. Basically, it just means really hot. No, not like attractive hot (although it probably can be used that way); like burning, scorching, and sometimes passionate.

The word "torrid" comes from the Latin word "torrere" which means "to dry with heat." (Don't thank me for that, thank dictionary.com :D) I thought that was cool.

Anyway, torrid is my favorite word, and it has been ever since I found it when I was looking for a word to describe a character's eyes. "Torrid" is the perfect word for eyes I think. I don't know why.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

XD never thought of the word "torrid" like that. we have that word in portuguese, like most other english words, but this is one of the (not so few) cases where the word are really similar, specially when being read. "tórrido" - to (just like in TOrrid)-rri (close to toRRId, but we pronounce the Rs in a way they're not pronounced in english)-do (do. as in "to DO something")

stupid comment ^^"

Kendra Logan said...

Cool! That wasn't a stupid comment at all! You know I'm a big language person; I loved learning that!!

The crazyy one. (: said...

Thank you! I was wondering what that word meant and you totally helped me! Thanks Kendra!

PS! I hope you dont think Im being staulker-ish I just really like your blog!

Kendra Logan said...

Lols, I totally don't think you're being stalker-ish! I love it when people read my blog! Thank you so much for being so supportive!

Katrien Scarlet said...

I saw a store named Torrid once... I heard it was like a plus size hot topic.
Anyways, I am given a word of the day in school now. Yesterdays word was Abscond. I think (I don't have the paper with me and my memory is horrible) But I think it means to sneak away.

I lost what I was saying =\

Kendra Logan said...

Oh yeah, I think I've seen that store before, too.

Cool word!

Oh, lol, I hate it when that happens.