Sunday, May 17, 2009

Pascal's Wager

Twenty-two followers! Whoa! Thanks, Gracie! :)

Well, the recital went amazingly. We all did very well, with no extreme mistakes. I'm just sad dance is over until like September!! Noooo! That's so sad :( I love dance. It's so much fun and it makes me feel great.

It's also really sad to think about the fact that I'll pretty much never see the seniors again. Ever. Possibly they'll come around for the recitals once a year, but they won't care about me. I care about them because they're awesome and moderately nice to me and I look up to them. I'm just a freshman who doesn't say much. (Yeah, I actually keep my mouth shut at dance :D) It's always sad to see friendships fade. But, hey, maybe I'm getting ahead of myself. The seniors haven't forgotten me completely YET! Lol ;)

The one good thing about dance being over is that I'll get to play with the little kids every Wednesday night now!! (Band practice for the church band, their kids come along, etc. We've been through this.)

I didn't write any Creepy--whoops, I mean "Mirror"--this weekend, but that's okay because it doesn't feel like I'm avoiding it like it sometimes does.

I watched the movie Zathura tonight. Stupid movie. No offense to any die-hard fans reading this ;)

Um...OHHH, right! Today is Bible Day! Okay, well...Let's go with Pascal's Wager. I know some of y'all are familiar with that (maybe ALL of you...), but let me just go over it really quick:

Blaise Pascal. Famous science guy. He was French (you can kinda tell from the name). And invented the first calculator (ish) thing. And I knew all that without Googling it :D That's what Challenge B does to you. *shudders...then grins*

Oh, yeah, and something about Pascal Triangle or something...I don't really pay attention to the math part as much. Haha, just kidding.

Anyway, Pascal basically said that we should put our bets on God.

Everyone wants to have a good life, right? I mean, seriously! Pascal's thinking was that if you believed in God and served him, you would have a wonderful life. Not *necissarily* because God exists, but because you believed you were doing right, and that makes us feel good inside. Plus, living by God's ideals is a lot more peaceful than living by what the world says.

So then Pascal said this (not actually quoting, here): when we die, either there is a God and we served him and we got to Heaven, or there isn't a God and we cease to exist.

If you chose God and he's real, then you have a happy life on Earth, and then die and get something even better. If you chose God and he's fake, then you have a happy life on Earth and lose nothing.

If you reject God and real, you live a sadder Earth life, then...let's just say, ya don't go to Heaven ;) If you reject God and he's fake, then you've lived a sadder life and gained nothing.

So pretty much, you get the better deal if you believe in God, whether or not he's real.

Personally, I believe there is a God. It doesn't seem very logical that all the world evolved from a premordial soup or whatever. Believing in God makes more sense to me. God makes sense to me, and I'm discovering that more and more as I look into things.

I DO see little inconsistencies in the Bible, though, I'm determined to figure out why that is. I don't want to just turn a blind eye to those things that appear to contradict each other--pretending a problem doesn't exist doesn't make it go away. I want to learn the truth. I want to look at the facts, and see where they lead me. I'm going to TRY not to be biased, and see what happens.

But I'm betting on God.

"If you believe, and God exists, you gain everything. If you disbelieve, and God exists, you lose everything."

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe in God too! Its way easier, and I think that I like it better then believing that I evolved from an ape.^^ Also, I think that it explains lots of things in life, that science makes way more complicated then they need to be. If that makes sense.^^

Kendra Logan said...

Yeah, that make sense! And also, a lot of the evidence "in support" of evolution is really...unconvincing, lol!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

it's great about your recital =)

never watched zathura, never even heard of it ^_^

about god... that pascal's wager does kinda make sense, but I couldn't start believing in god just because I wanted to...

Kendra Logan said...

Thanks!

Haha, yeah, don't bother :)

Very true. I know I wouldn't start believing out of the blue just because it made a little sense. It's more of a process of finding out stuff than all the sudden being like "I think I'll believe in God today" lol!

Front Porch Grace said...

Welcome. :)

Kelsey said...

I really think that if you truly desire to know God, he will reveal himself to you.

Kendra Logan said...

I agree. If you're really looking for the truth, you'll find it. It's not like God is trying to hide from you!