Tuesday, February 17, 2009

I'm sick but I loved "The Glass Menagerie" :)

I'm sick. Stuffy nose, runny nose, lots of sneezing, I'm always cold, always tired...yeah. It sucks :( But, life goes on. :)

I'm hoping to get in a few thousand words of "Creepy" done today...Don't know how much luck I'll have when I don't feel that great. Paige will probably come down with a terrible fever or something. Hmm...not actually a bad idea. :D Anyway, I sent my story to Ellie yesterday and she read it and said she loved it. Maybe it's not as bad as I was afraid of. Ellie is extremely honest, so I know if she liked it all right, it can't be THAT bad :) We did discover some irrigularities and things that aren't quite plausible. I'll need to go back and rework those, but over all, I don't feel as bad about what I've done.

In school, we just read the book "The Glass Menagerie." I loved it! It has lots of good symbolism, and the story is also very funny and easy (for me at least) to relate to. It's a memory play. In other words, it is the way the narrator, Tom, remembers and perceives various events. The book, which is actually a play, centers around the small Wingfield family: the mother, Amanda, and young adult children Laura and Tom. They all have very different personalities, which makes for an interesting family life. Amanda is determined to make sure that Laura, who is shy to a debilitating degree, has a good future. Amanda uses Tom’s income to insure that, which makes Tom justifiably bitter. He feels obligated to take care of his family, but really wants to leave his small life and seek out adventure, or write poetry. He only sticks around because he feels his duty to his family and he doesn't want to be like his father, who ran out on the family.

The play is pretty short and it was easy to read. I love the symbolism of the glass menagerie, which is Laura's collection of little glass animal figurines. She tends to them all day, keeping them clean and arranged the way she likes them. This symbolizes the fragile little world she likes to live in instead of facing reality. There is a lot more symbolism in the glass menagerie than what I just said, but I don't want to spoil everything. The play has a very good, although highly unexpected ending. (If you find it to read it, DON'T READ THE BACK OF IT FIRST. It gives away everything. I did not read the back, and enjoyed the book. When I read the back after I was finished, I was VERY glad I hadn't read it beforehand.)

Yeah, well, that's pretty much all I can think of for now. School went well today. It was pretty fun. A guy in my class sprained his ankle after school playing basketball in the parking lot, so that's too bad :( But other than that, nothing particularly interesting happened.

Hope I can get some "Creepy" written!! Come on, creativity! I need ya! :) TTYL!

4 comments:

Gabrielle said...

Cool Kendra. :)

Kendra Logan said...

Thanks :)

Anonymous said...

it's cool the creepy story "situation" is better ^_^

"the glass menagerie" sounds really interesting...

good luck with writing

Kendra Logan said...

Thanks!! :)